Thank you for your interest in BeachSports! Below you will find a summary of our expectations for 2021. Our website, BeachSports.com, is currently up to date based on the information outlined below. If you haven't already, we encourage you to join our mailing list to stay informed about registration and other key program information; Join Our Mailing List.
OUTLINE (click a link to jump to that section)
- 2020 Recap
- Looking Ahead! Summer 2021
- 2021 Registration Details
- Hermosa Beach Camps
- What to Expect in 2021
- Skateboard & Volleyball Camps
- GoSurfing - Private Surf Lessons & Events
2020 was certainly a challenging year for everyone. With our kids trapped behind computer screens for months and the cancellation of several popular summer programs, never in our 25 years of operation had we felt the importance and responsibility of BeachSports in our community. Never have the youth of our community needed the outdoors, physical activity and positive social experiences more, and never before have their options been so limited. Thanks to the tireless work of our coaches and administrative staff, we were able to successfully navigate the everchanging protocols and guidelines established by various government agencies to deliver quality positive experiences to over a thousand local kids with ZERO reported COVID-19 cases.
Having already successfully navigated the challenges of 2020, we are excited for the opportunity to build on what we learned last year and offer improved and expanded programs for our community this summer!
Last year at this time there was much uncertainty regarding if, how and when we'd be able to run our programs. Although the Coronavirus is still prevalent in our community, unlike last year, we are highly confident we will be able to offer, at a minimum, exactly what we did last summer, with the addition of our Skateboard and Volleyball Camps. Our programs will run June 14th - September 3rd, 2021.
Registration for Summer 2021 will open in March (Exact date TBD)
Last year we experienced extremely high demand for our programs and spots filled up very quickly. Although we don't expect the same level of demand this summer as more programs begin to open, we do anticipate our more popular programs filling fast, including Surf Camp, Junior Lifeguard Camp and Beach Camp, so we encourage you to enroll early to secure your spot.
Hermosa Beach Camps - Our Hermosa camps are run through the City of Hermosa Beach Parks & Rec. Department and we have yet to receive any guidance from them regarding Summer programs. We anticpate being able to run our Beach Camps very similarly to last year and, hopefully, our Skateboard Camps at the Skate Park will return. It's possible we will not be able to run our Surf Camps due to a conflict with another surf camp program returning after taking last year off. If you would like to see a BeachSports Surf Camp option return this summer, please share your thoughts with the Rec Department here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once we confirm our programs with the City, we will notify everyone via email. We appreciate your patience!
We understand that due to the continued uncertainty of our environment, it's possible your plans may change or we may be forced to make changes to our programs. To reduce the risk of advanced registration, we've taken the following steps:
- Secure your spot in camp with a $150 deposit. The balance will be due on May 1st.
- 100% refund of your camp fees in the event BeachSports needs to cancel or significantly alter your program due to the Coronavirus.
- Flexible refund policy if your plans change. See Refund Policy
Below is a general summary of what you can expect at BeachSports this summer. For information specific to each camp, visit BeachSports.com and select your preferred location from the main menu.
Small Program Sizes & Low Instructor to Camper Ratios:
Pods of 8 to 12 campers with 2 to 3 coaches per pod
COVID Safety Protocols:
Although we have not received official guidance from the LA County Health Department, we anticipate many of the COVID protocols to remain in place, including the following:
- Daily temperature checks for campers and staff
- Masks: required for BeachSports staff. We will defer to protocols established by officials regarding masks for campers.
- Limited program switches to limit exposure
- Multiple locations to reduce crowding and maintain distance of pods.
Create a private summer camp experience for just your friend group. First-come, first-served. Reach out to us ASAP to coordinate.
9am-2pm or 9am-12pm. Refer to BeachSports.com for details regarding each program.
Registration for all camps will require a full week commitment. This was new for BeachSports in 2020 and we found it had several positive affects on the camp experience:
- Allows for friendships to develop among camp participants from the start of the week to the end of the week.
- Coaches are able to connect with each participant on a deeper level, establish individual goals and monitor their growth from the start of the week to the end of the week.
- Participants are exposed to a variety of ocean conditions throughout the week which provides learning and instructional opportunities for campers and coaches.
- Streamlines the pick-up and drop-off process for parents/caregivers as the week progresses, limiting confusion and traffic.
- Limits exposure to only the 8-12 kids and 2-3 coaches in each pod, which in the event of exposure to COVID-19, allows BeachSports to cancel just that group for the week while the other programs continue. Fortunately, this was never necessary in 2020.
Sibling = 10% off each additional participant (relatives only)
Multi-Week = 10% off 3 or more weeks of camp
Private Surf Lessons for All Ages:
We are excited to be launching a Surf School that will specialize in quality surf instruction for all ages, located at the Manhattan Beach Pier. Learn more here: GoSurfing.org
To learn more and register for our programs, visit us at BeachSports.com or call 310-372-2202. We look forward to seeing you soon!
The BeachSports Team